COLLEGE OF ART & SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF LANGUAGE & LITERATURE
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM FOR WINNING ENGLISH SCHOOL
History of USJR
The University of San Jose–Recoletos (USJR or colloquially shortened to San Jose), formerly known as Colegio de San Jose–Recoletos, is a Catholic private university founded in 1947 in Cebu City, Philippines by the Order of Augustinian Recollects. From classes held in an old building and a portion of the convent, the school built modern structures while retaining classic features. . The university has three campuses, two of which are located in different areas of Metro Cebu the main campus along Corner P. Lopez and Magallanes Sts. and the Basak Campus at Cebu South Road, Basak Pardo, Cebu City. Its third campus, the newly built Balamban Campus, is located in Arpili, a barangay in the Municipality of Balamban (still in the province of Cebu). Established by the Order of Augustinian Recollects in Cebu City in 1947, the then Colegio de San Jose - Recoletos held classes in a portion of a convent, which can be traced back on 1621, and in an old building. On July 25, 1948, CSJ-R's second year marked the blessing of the college building in the then Carmelo Street, now Leon Kilat Street. With the rise of the new building, collegiate courses were offered. Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce, Secretarial, Vocational courses and Pianoforte were the first set of courses offered by CSJ-R in the college level. The Augustinian Recollects decided to construct a new college building designed by architects Imelda Borromeo and Mariano Monasque. The new San Nicolas Building fronting Plaza Washington (now Freedom Park), was inaugurated on July 25, 1950. The year 1950 also witnessed another milestone in education, breaking free from the old system, the school adopted the system of departmentalized colleges appointing one dean for each college.
Local University Progam